If we truly want Black communities to breathe freely in the outdoors, we have to combat systemic racism.
As awareness of systemic racism across all facets of U.S. life is becoming more broadly recognized and confronted, we are asking our community to support us in the crucial work of fostering a racially equitable outdoor movement. At this pivotal moment, we are launching Explore-A-Thon 2020, our outdoor fundraising campaign from June 19th to August 14th. Funds raised will ensure that through Youth Outside’s programs we can continue to:
- Dismantle institutional and individual racism in the outdoor/environmental field
- Increase meaningful and safe participation of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color in outdoor spaces
- Amplify the stories of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color environmentalists
Ongoing nationwide protests against anti-Black violence and systemic racism, and the disproportionate and devastating impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, make the need for nature’s healing powers more pronounced than ever. We know that you’ve been showing up for this moment with care, concern, and compassion. Whether supporting virus-stricken family and friends or lending material support to the uprising against police brutality, we recognize and commend you for staying engaged and leading with generosity.
But we can’t stop now! We are seeing firsthand the power of unifying around a common goal, and the change that can happen when we commit to action, so we are calling on you as our fiercest champions to act with us by participating in Explore-A-Thon 2020:
- Get outside! Whether hitting your favorite hiking trail or checking out bugs in your backyard, the point of the Explore-A-Thon campaign is to reconnect to nature in all of its restorative wonder.
- Set up a personalized fundraising webpage on Classy. Youth Outside’s Explore-A-Thon fundraising page includes text you can use. Your webpage will allow you to easily track your fundraising progress. When your sponsors make their tax-deductible donations online using this personalized link, their contributions will be reflected on your page’s fundraising thermometer.
- Join our week of action to uplift the stories of Black people in the outdoors. Visit Youth Outside’s Explore-A-Thon Week of Action page beginning Monday, June 22nd, for information on Black-led outdoor organizations to support and educational resources to share.
- Amplify the campaign through social media, either using photos and videos from your own outdoor adventures or reposting content from our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.
- Share our sponsorship opportunities with companies in your network that may be interested in supporting Explore-A-Thon with a corporate gift.
As an added incentive to get the campaign started, the first five individuals to donate $100 or more will receive special gift packs including a Youth Outside t-shirt!
If you would like help setting up your Classy page, or have additional questions about Explore-A-Thon, please contact Geenah-Marie Leslie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you again for your continued support of Youth Outside.